Sunday, April 5, 2015

Pisa

We spent the night in Pisa because we had a 9am flight to Paris and didn't want to chance missing it if we came from the Cinque Terre. 

Our train to Pisa was uneventful with the exception that we had to pick up our train tickets with a confirmation code (our other tickets had been sent via email). At the ticket counter, the agent said we can only print tickets from the machine. But the machine would not work. It kept asking for 2 codes but we only had 1 and the agents were not able to help us. They finally said to just use our confirmation forms as a ticket and explain to the conductor the situation. I was pretty nervous since we already had an infraction in Germany for lack of tickets and I know the Italian train ruled can be more strict. Once I boarded the train however, I fell asleep. Poor Super Nel got worse on our last day in CT and my lungs were getting wetter and wetter. We went to the pharmacy before we left CT and the pharmacist gave us the Italian version of Sudafed and expectorant. In addition to Miss Delia, Super Nel and I being sick  Dana and Pedro have joined the sick club. Turned out we had nothing to be worried about on our Pisa train ride because the conductor didn't even check the tickets!!!

In Pisa, we set off to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa. There really wasn't much else to explore in this town. We did have some fun taking photos. 

The square was full of tourists taking photos of the tower. It really does have a big lean and it looks how I pictured it in my mind. 

The columns are really pretty. 

There was an amazing Fallen Angel art peice in the square. 

I loved the angles of this statue. 

Obligatory selfie. 


There's a huge cathedral and duomo in the same square of the tower. In the cathedral, mass was taking place so it was interesting to stop in and listen to the priest talk in Italian while standing in an elaborate church. 

My favorite part was taking photos of everyone posing with the tower in the background. Here are a few of my favorites: 

Josef gives the tower a hug. 

Shane tries to lean on the tower. 

Pedro giving this gal a high five


Pedro's duck lip photo

Poor Ala was standing on this cement structure trying to get a good shot with the tower when she fell off! Luckily all she had was a bruise and small cut on her finger-but it was really really funny. 

I called it a night and spent some time blogging and catching up on emails since our hotel had a computer. I was excited and nervous to go to Paris the next day. I don't know any French words besides bonjour, french toast and merci and I was concerned that we might not be able to communicate and get around. I started listening to my mango app in hopes of learning some basic words. 

We also received some very happy and exciting news this week. Remember our friends Jose and Chris??!! They went to Prague a few days ago for the last leg of their adventure? Well, I found out that they got engaged in Prague. I couldn't believe the wonderful news. Did you read my previous blog post in London about staying up and talking with Jose at the hostel? This was one of the things we discussed. It made me so happy to know that my two friends had found a love between one another to last a lifetime. It made me so happy to know that their adventures together have just begun. 

Chris's new accessory and her passport. 

Eeeeeeeee!!! (If you don't already know, that's the sound I make when I'm so excited I sqeal) 
Super Nel and I will always think of Chris and Jose when we think of our wedding. The theme to our wedding was UP the Disney Pixar movie (this is why we love the hashtag "adventureisoutthere").We chose it because we feel a marriage is an adventure. It's not always fun and games-it's hard work and a huge commitment. It's an adventure that changes your life. Jose and Chris worked together to make a drawing of the UP house and we had guests stamp their finger print above it with a colored stamp pad and sign their name. We plan to hang that drawing in our home as a reminder of our wedding day adventure. As I've said before, this entire amazing adventure started from love. The love Super Nel and I have for one another and our love for travel. It's been amazing having our friends join us in Europe. And now knowing that two of them got engaged while in Prague has helped make this the best honeygroupmoon ever. 

I asked Jose and Chris if I could share their proposal story and received their permission. It turns out that they had planned to visit a national park in Prague but Jose had food poisoning and they stayed in bed. He said he proposed in bed while sick because Chris loves him in sickness and in health. And she said yes! 

I can't wait to see them again when we get home and give them each a big congratulations hug. Oh and I also asked them when they plan to start planning their honeymoon....











No comments:

Post a Comment