Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Exploring Provence

The next day we woke up to a huge breakfast spread put together by Barbra. She had jars of jams and honey and cookies and granola (I could write poems about the tasty granola). A bowl of fresh fruit and fresh squeezed OJ. I don't think I'll be able to drink orange juice when I get home. The oranges over here taste like pure sunshine goodness which makes the juice taste like the best vitamin C ever made. Also, everyday on the table was some kind of meat protein (salami, procutto, ham) and a variety of cheeses. Don't get me started on the fresh loaves of bread (yes plural-loaves). We sit outside on the terrace at tables covered with red plaid tablecloths (that I spill my coffee on-sorry Barbra). We drink coffee that has to have some kind of drug infused. There's no way coffee can taste that good. Not possible!!! Just when you think life can't get any better Barbra brings out homemade croissants hot from the oven and a freshly cooked over easy egg. I shovel food in my face like it's going out of style and as I listen to the birds chirping around me something stops me in my tracks-it really hits me. I'm in France and it's gorgeous here and this is my life for the next 3 days. I make it point to take a deep breath, give thanks and (as Darius would say) just take it all in. It really is that beautiful. I purposefully had to put down my camera and my phone and just stop snapping photos or blogging for a few days because it broke my heart to look away from the scenery. 

After breakfast we set off to explore the town of St. Rèmy de Provence. It was about 45 minutes away. This town has ancient Roman ruins and is well known for having the psychiatric facility where Vincent Van Gogh admitted himself for treatment. 

The drive was as scenic as can me. We went over a bridge:


And down this road with trees to arrive at the town. 
It's like a tunnel of trees!

This town was bigger than ours. We went to the nearby tourism office in hopes of getting a map or plan for exploring. It was noon when we arrived and all the offices and stores were closed for lunch. There was however, a cool map that lights up and shows you where the sights are. We set off to see the Van Gogh area. There's an entire road named after him and little markers that show the way. Along the walk are stops with paintings of Van Gogh's and they tell you where he painted that exact canvas. After visiting his museum in Amsterdam and learning about his history it felt surreal to be looking at the same landscapes he saw when he created his artwork. Looking out into the many fields of green with some sporadic splotches of colorful flowers. 

One of the markers showing the way. 

Mr. Van Gough's avenue!

Can you see the one red poppy flower in a field of yellow? Van Gogh stopped to paint here many times. 

The view from the psychiatric facility Van Gogh resided at. Is it no wonder that creating art helped him to feel better? 

Hiking trails near the facility. 


We hiked the same path Vincent would walk to paint. 

Green lush trees

The clouds reminded me of Van Gogh 

The psych facility is still open so you can't go inside. 

We took a few photos from the outside. You can pay to go see the room Mr. Van Gogh stayed in. 

In the same area are ancient Roman ruins. It made me remember how big the Roman Empire was at the height of its rule. 



Love the arches

The Romans loved to use arches in their architecture. 



Afterwards we tried to find some food everything was closed for siesta. We really needed to figure out the siesta times around here. 

The drive back was gorgeous as usual. 

And it felt so good to pull up to our B and B when we arrived. 


Good night breakfast terrace (on the right). 

Good night church bells. 

Tomorrows a new day in Provence. But maybe we'll be extra lazy and lounge around our little town and nap at the B and B. 

Read all about it next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment