Friday, April 3, 2015

Gear Review

We're about halfway through with our trip so I thought today would be a good time to review the gear we brought with us. We have been lugging our backpacks for many weeks now and I could sure use a good massage.

Tonight at dinner I asked everyone to think about what they brought in their bag and what they use all the time, what they wish they had and what they feel they could leave behind. My comments are listed below.

Items I use all the time: There isn't anything in my bag that I haven't used. I didn't wear my Tiek ballet flats until today but that's mainly due to weather. I'm hoping to wear them in France and Spain. I use my merino wool icebreaker base layer almost every day as well as iphone, ipad, nike shoes, watch, daypacks (backpack and cross body bag), ziplocks, our insulated lunch box has been used a lot, clothes washing supplies (line, soap and sink stopper). I'm really glad I brought the down jacket and gloves. I also use my collapsable water bottle everyday and my first aid kit. Since so many of us have been sick I've been using the meds in there every day.

What I wish I had: at the last minute I removed the small container of vaseline from my toiletry bag-my hands are raw from the cold and wind. I could really use some right now. Other then that there isn't anything else I really wish I had. My bag is pretty well prepped. I could have used some more Mucinex  D. We ran out in Amsterdam and have been going into European pharmacies trying to find something equivalent but nothing has done the trick just yet. I was tempted to bring a pair of jeans but left them out at the last minute. I'm glad I left them because my black Lulu lemon pants and leggings have worked out just fine. 

What I wish I had left behind: Somehow a large amount of US American coins made it into my wallet. So I've been stuck carrying it this entire time.

Now for everyone else-I really enjoyed hearing what everyone else thought about their gear. One of my favorite things to hear was when Pedro said he wished he'd packed lighter. Music to my ears!! Even I find myself thinking that I could go even lighter next time. For those of you back home, (you know who you are Heatherrrrr-not mommy frog), you really can do a few weeks in Europe with a small bag-even in the winter!

Items that have been used all the time: toiletries, mini lint roller (Rhianna brought this and it's perfect if you have a black wardrobe like most of us), electronics (phones, cameras, gopro, selfie sticks, tablets), shoes (Miss Delia wants to do a shout out for her New Balances, she loves them and has worn them every day. They are the light weight vibrum sole style shoe. I love my Reeboks and have not had any feet issues-even in Rome. Shane says his Teva shoes have been invaluable-he's worn them hiking in the Cinque Terre and to the night clubs in Berlin). Other helpful items include-base layers (Josef loves his quick-dry layer), wool socks (Miss Delia loves hers. I love the smart wool socks and my new Eddie Bauer socks have been so comfy and warm in the cold countries), external batteries for charging phones or electronics and Pedro's favorite item are his hair clippers. That's right folks-he brought hair clippers to make sure his fade is on point (his photos do look pretty good...). Also Pedro said he really enjoys using his inflatable pillow. Shane has the same one and said the same-light weight, uses minimal space and works nicely on flights.

Items the group wishes they had brought: Josef said he really wanted ear muffs in the cold countries, Pedro and Shane said a pair of cargo shorts or board shorts would have been nice, Miss Delia wanted more clothes, more options-although she and some of the girls found good deals at H and M. Ala wishes she had another pair of gloves (she lost one glove so only one hand can stay warm).

Wish it had been left behind: Super Nel said his extra pair of shoes and fancy/dressy pants and shirt have not been used. Some of the girls wished they had left behind their blowdryer or makeup. Most people said that they have used every single item in their bag multiple times. Josef said he still hasn't used his towel but Pedro used his as a sweat rag on the hike yesterday.

Backpacking and packing light is truly an art. You have to be creative and willing to be flexible (sometimes you run out of undies and haven't done laundry so you wear your bikini bottoms). Every trip we take, no matter how small, we learn something new. Hopefully the tips we've shared here will help someone else on their adventures.

One of my favorite nights in the Cinque Terre was doing laundry at the landromat (a real washer and dryer!!) and drinking bottles (yes, that's multiple) of wine or beer right outside. At one point there were so many of us relaxing with our wine that people kept stopping by thinking it was a cafe or place to drink and then realized it was the landromat. Even a kitty cat stopped by to watch us fold our delicates.

We washed everything all together in the big washer-Super Nel, Dana and I. This would be our first time using a washer/dryer. We've been hand washing this whole time. 

Pedro gets some expert advice from Dana on how to make change. 


This kitty roams the town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment