Thursday, April 2, 2015

Bus Ride Home

We had to leave Auschwitz by 15:00 in order to arrive back in time to check into our apartment. Plus, we still had to take the bus ride back to Kraków which was over an hour long. 
minutes.
Last photos before we leave. 


We sat at the bus stop and ate our picnics while waiting for the bus.

Some time had passed before the bus came and we started to worry that we were at the wrong spot. Freddy said he would run back to the main entrance and see if we're supposed to catch the bus there. In a few minutes the bus came to the stop we were at so I shouted to Darius to call Freddy to come back. Darius shouted back "I can't call him, I don't have a phone!" I kept forgetting he had broken his phone in London. So Darius gave me his backpack and set off sprinting to find Freddy while the rest of us did our best to stall the bus. Darius and Freddy came running up and as a joke I said "Sorry guys the bus is full." When I told them I was joking Freddy exhaled and said "I'm gonna kill you." Sadly, the joke was on me. When I boarded the bus there were no more seats available. So I had to sit on the floor in between two seats. My shoulders were scrunched and my butt barely fit. Poor Freddy had to stand the entire ride! 

Now this wouldn't have been so bad, except the bus driver kept stopping at bus stops and more people would get on! Freddy kept getting pushed farther and farther back until he was pushed up against me. It got to the point that if anyone else got on he would have to straddle me. Luckily no one else got on the bus. However, it was so stuffy and hot and it was hard to breathe. I fell asleep and hoped when I woke up we would already have arrived. I woke up the last fifteen minutes and had to do meditation. I was so uncomfortable and it was so hard to breathe. However, I couldn't help thinking of all the people that were crammed into trains for days while being transported to Auschwitz. That bus ride put everything into perspective. 










No comments:

Post a Comment