Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Roma

We arrived in Rome on Sunday afternoon via train from the Cinque Terre. It was a 4 hour train ride and we passed these little coastal towns right on the water. It made me want to get off the train and jump in the sea. We were excited to see Rome, but at the same time I think we were more worried about pick pockets. We'd been warned by everyone that Rome is notorious for scams and cons.

Once we checked into our hostel we put on our walking shoes and applied some sunscreen. It was HOT in Rome but that's to be expected in July. What I don't understand is how the Romans don't sweat?! They are dressed to the nines in dresses, cardigans or full suits and they don't have a single bead of sweat on them! I on the other hand look like a wet seal covered in a sweat puddle. 

We explored Ancient Rome our first day and we walked around for 8 hours straight. We didn't use a single transportation source that first day. By the time we made it back to the hostel we were hobbling. The cobble stone streets are rough on your calves and feet.  

All the ruins and historic landmarks in Rome are so much bigger in person. I was most excited for the Colosseum. It was as grand as I pictured it. As I walked up to the structure I could imagine the cheers of the people as a Gladiator slaughtered his opponent. I could envision the Romans cheering for the Gladiator to finish the defeated foe. Little did they know that they were given this "entertainment" to distract them from their hunger and struggles. It worked. 
Our colusseum "self portrait"

As we explore the fountains and Ancient Rome capital (what's left of it) I'm overwhelmed by the fact that thousands of years ago this was the actual thriving town I learned about in History class so many years ago. I love history. I used to pretend I was living during all the different eras we'd discuss in class and envision what life would be life. As a Roman I think life would be grand but difficult. The Romans had so much pride in their art, buildings and warriors. 
Caesar statue in front of the Roman Capitol ruins

We explored are the big sites-forum, pantheon, arch, Trevi fountain, Santa Maria Maggiore, Palatino and more. It honestly feels like you're in another world. I would definitely come back to Rome but maybe not in the summer...


Arch of Constantine 
My favorite site was the Trevi fountain. I could sit here for hours and look at the fountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment