Saturday, July 6, 2013

Communication and Compromise

Super Nel and I have spent the last few weeks doing tons of research and preparation for our Eurotrip. Now, each of us has our own strengths weaknesses and that's good. However, one thing I've learned about taking a big trip like one we're planning is that it's going to involve a lot of communication and compromise (and a dash of patience).

On Wednesday, our last day to pack for our trip Super Nel FINALLY decides to start packing. I on the other hand had been packing and unpacking my backpack daily trying to find the best fit for all my stuff. Super Nel was just making a giant pile of all his belongings and hoped it would fit in his pack. We got into a fight about packing and procrastinating and Super Nel brought up something important. He said that it was pretty likely we'd get frustrated or angry while backpacking for two weeks. Yet it was going to be important for us to work through it and learn to move on. I sarcastically told him that when I got pissed off I was going to start taking 10 deep breaths to calm down-then I preceded to deep breathe like a Lamaze professional. We couldn't help but start cracking up. I realized in that moment that if you can laugh with the person you love during a fight then that's a good sign of a strong relationship.

Communication and Compromise. That's what it's going to take to survive 2 weeks of backpacking. Today we landed in Germany and so far no Lamaze breathing has been necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment