Friday, March 20, 2015

First Day in the UK

 After landing at the London Gatwick airport, we had to navigate our way through the process of catching a train and then using the tube (subway) to find our hostel. The process was pretty straight forward and it helps that everyone speaks English and understands what we're saying (for the most part). While we were on the train, a little cart comes through selling coffee, tea and snacks. It almost made me feel like I was on the Hogwarts Express (from Harry Potter). By the time we reached our hostel we'd discovered that it was pretty chilly in London and it was time to bust out our layers. I put on my Icebreaker Merino wool base layer (which had worked wonders on the plane. Really does keep you cool or warm depending on what you need). I added my black mid layer (think fancy sweatshirt), puffy down jacket, gloves, scarf and hat. I was perfectly warm. Shane said this was because I only had a tiny portion of my skin showing (face). I probably looked ridiculous but I didn't really care because we're in Europe and I'm not freezing my booty off. 

We did a fast check-in at the hostel before going out to explore. Super Nel and I are doing a combo of hostels/hotels/vacation rentals during our trip. We loved the hostels last time we were abroad, so we had no problem booking a stay at other hostels. Hostels aren't for everyone, but I highly recommend you give them a chance. I'm loving the YHA Oxford Street hostel because the location is in Soho (fun area of London that we compare to a neighborhood back home called North Park) and the population is a great mix of young/seasoned guests. We saw a family with school age children hanging out in the lounge and there's room service! The dorms are non-coed which means Super Nel and I are separated. This didn't bother us because we've done it before and never had any problems. Plus, it gives us the chance to meet new people independently. My room consists of 2 bunk beds, lockers and a sink area.  I scored a bottom bunk which I like because I look like the worlds worst trapeze artist climbing to the top. My bunk mate came in while I was unpacking and she is a lovely lady who is visiting from Bath, England. She's an older traveler who said she'd come into the city for a little fun. 

After checking in, we set out looking for food with Josef, Pedro and Shane. We found a tasty restaurant that serves traditional British food. Super Nel has his list of "must eats" per country and we crossed off the Scottish egg from the list.
The Scottish Egg

The restaurant was called Whyte and Brown and it's located in this area of funky alleyways and shops called Canterbury. 

Whyte and Brown serves free range chicken burgers/dishes and pairs it with tasty beer. I discovered this tasty honey beer which did not disappoint. It has a hint of honey aftertaste but not an overpowering sweetness which I loved. Everyone's meal was delicious and now that our bellies were full we were to do some exploring on foot. We tried to meet up with the other members of our group but due to limited wifi it never happened and that's ok. I think it's good to split up and explore at your own pace. This way you have stories to share at the end of the day. 

Our adventure involved walking over to see the Big Ben Tower and The London Eye. 
The London Eye from the Westminster Bridge. 

Big Ben in the Moonlight 

 At this point the temperature had dropped and it was nighttime so some of our group members were freezing. It just meant we had to walk faster in order to warm up. We walked through St. James park which felt a little odd at first since we didn't see too many other people there at night but was a pleasant walk. Big Ben and the Eye were both lit up and seemed like big beacons calling us to take endless selfies with the other tourist on a cold windy sidewalk. The Thames River runs through this area and we were able to see the waterfront by the Eye. I met a couple from Spain who wanted their photo taken. I was able to converse in Spanish with them and they returned the favor by taking group photo of us. Two street performers dressed in mime outfits came over and were asking if they could take our photo. I immediately got a red flag from these two gentleman-mainly because mimes aren't supposed to talk! One pretended to pose with me for a photo and placed his hand on my daypack. Luckily I had a mini lock on my zippers. I politely refused any photos. I could hear the voice of Rick Steves saying "pickpockets like to work in groups so always use caution with valuables." 

At this point in the evening we were starting to get a little tired and some of us were turning into Olaf the Snowman from the cold. We decided to take the tube back to our hostel and we felt much more comfortable navigating the subway maps. 

When we arrived at the hostel, we stopped in the lounge area to relax and unwind before bed and Jose joined us. The rest of the girls in his group were fast asleep. We discussed our adventures and observations of the day. We all agreed that Londoners walk around the city on a mission. They are fast paced and many of them a running to catch the tube or a taxi. If you stop in the middle of their path they WILL run you over. I compared it to New Yorkers on crack. You have to be determined when getting on the tube. If you stand back and let others ahead of you on or off you'll never get anywhere. You have to move with purposeful strides if you're going to blend in. 

We stayed up chatting with Jose for awhile and it hit me: here I am halfway across the world with my husband and a best friend talking about what museum we would explore tomorrow and how expensive the city is compared to back home. It was a surreal feeling I tell you. 

When we went up to bed I decided to tackle my shower at night so I could sleep in the following morning. I forgot the process involved in showering hostel style. First I had to get into my room and get my supplies without making too much noise (hostel etiquette 101). I used a headlamp to help me see but it also helps that I have vampire eyes and I'm accustomed to seeing in the dark. The hostel has a changing room next to the shower so I organized my bag and took out what I'd need for the shower, bed and clothing for the next day. The process involves organization and planning. You can go mad opening and closing your backpack from forgetting your toothbrush or the floss and knowing they are way down at the bottom of your bag. I also forgot how odd it feels to dry yourself with a teeny tiny shamwow towel. It's no bigger than arms length and about as wide as a peice of binder paper. Once I was dry and comfy in some jammies I had to quietly go back to my bunk and put away my bag. 

Once I crawled into bed I realized I forgot my eye mask. I knew exactly where it was too: locked up in my locker at the bottom of my backpack. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. 







No comments:

Post a Comment